Friday, March 2, 2012

RIP Davy Jones

Like many bloggers, I've gotten a little lax of late about posting, so that it feels like any time I'm posting it's for an obit.  But, you know, when a cultural icon like Davy Jones of the Monkees passes away, and I've got something in my archives that might be worth adding to the mix of tributes, I kind of feel obligated to post.

So, from TV Land Confidential, this snippet is from an interview that my buddy John Werner did with the talented former Monkee.

The Monkees' Davy Jones Dead at 66

How much of The Monkees was ad libbed?

DAVY:  There were a lot of things in the show, not to be disrespectful to the writers, that weren’t quite right at the time. 

For instance, let me give you one example.  When I sing Day Dream Believer, I changed one word.  

“Now you know how happy I will be.” 

(John Stewart, the composer) wrote, “Now you know how funky I can be”.  

And I said “funky, that’s a great word” It’s like can you dig it.  You know, we’re not hearing "can you dig it that much".  But I was credited for that in 16 magazine. 

So , anyway funky wasn’t going to work for me.  John wasn’t very happy when he heard it.  

But I said "Happy is long lasting word, let’s change that," and we did.  And I’m sure he’s "happy" now.  That was changed, and it’s an on going tune. I hear it all over the place all the time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment